Welcome to Mitten Crab Watch
If you catch a mitten crab
- Do not throw it back alive!
- Take a close-up photo.
- Note the precise location where the animal was found.
- Freeze the animal, keep on ice, or as a last resort preserve it in rubbing alcohol.
- Please report a mitten crab by submitting information and photos here or email to SERCMittenCrab@si.edu. We will reply to each report and may also ask about any specimens that you may have collected.
- For other questions, you can also contact the Mitten Crab Hotline at 443-482-2222.